Saturday, May 11, 2013

AnyBackup 1.0.0 Released

It's been about a year since I last did anything with AnyBackup -- that's not because I lost interest, but rather because it'd simply been working and did everything I wanted it to.

I finally mustered up some motivation to make some improvements, though. I spent the last week straight overhauling the codebase. I unit tested all the major non-UI modules and while I was at it I refactored all the code for sanity and for PEP styling issues. This took way, way longer than adding new features (not surprising).

Since it's been a year I figured why not do this in style and make this a milestone 1.0.0 release.

Changes:

  • Unit tests (hopefully less bugs and less breaks in the future)
  • Display transfer rates and total copy progress
    • It's a little rough, and transfer rates are calculated in a very naive way, but it's better than nothing
  • Warn users when a backup is going to delete old files from any backup drives
  • Proper threading model
    • Previously threads were killed on demand via a nasty kill/hack and it did not ensure consistent data, etc
    • New model nicely requests thread death and long running thread processes have been refactored to comply
  • Code clean up, PEP style conventions
  • Migrate from Pyro3 -> Pyro4
    • Pyro4 has async calls which is needed for the proper threading model mentioned above

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers